The Neustadt's classification as a UNESCO World Heritage Site recognizes the exceptional uniqueness of the historical and architectural continuity between the medieval, Renaissance and 18th century of Strasbourg and the German "new city". It is characterised by the unity and exceptional quality of its architecture and urban planning, which perfectly showcases it within the framework of vast perspectives, and where an acute sense of the landscape is evident.
Place de la République
The immense Place de la République is the heart of the Neustadt (new town) created after the Franco-Prussian war of 1870, and is organized in the center of its large arteries and majestic buildings in Imperial architecture.
Connected by a broad avenue to place Broglie, place de la République was built during the German period and constituted the new political and administrative centre of the city, with a number of official buildings in historicist and eclectic style.
In the center stands a memorial for falled soldiers, erected in 1936. It depicts a mother with her two sons, one of whom died for France, the other for Germany, a dramatic situation experienced by Alsatians during the two world wars.
Catholic Church of Saint Pierre le Jeune
Place Charles de Foucauld, 67000 Strasbourg
This massive pink sandstone monument, designed by August Hartel, architect from Cologne, and Skjold Neckelmann, originally from Denmark but residing in Hamburg, was built between 1888 and 1893. It was to house the Catholic parish of Saint-Pierre-le-Jeune, which had shared the church on rue de la Nuée-Bleue with the Protestant parish since 1681.
The saint-Pierre-le-Jeune catholic church was built in Neo-Romanesque style and was designed by architects August Hartel and Skjold Neckelmann. It comprises two rectangular towers, reminiscent of traditional Rhenish churches, and a large cupola inspired by Latin churches.
Rue du Général Rapp, 67000 Strasbourg
The facade of this building has a surprising originality in this former German neighborhood: an Egyptian-inspired fresco with a pharaoh surrounded by papyrus. This fantasy art that combines Art Nouveau and Orientalism dates back to 1905.
Hôtel des Postes
Rue Wencker, 67000 Strasbourg
Not open to visitors.
Relocating the central post office in Strasbourg, previously located on the cathedral square, allowed the imperial government to affirm Neustadt's position as the city's new political and administrative centre. The Hôtel des Postes was built in 1899 in a departure from the neo-Renaissance style of the institutional buildings located around Place de la République. The post office minister, Heinrich von Stephan, approved by Emperor William II, preferred a neo-Gothic building representing, according to the Kaiser, "a very suitable interruption of the Renaissance style".
Protestant Church of Saint Paul
1 Place du Général Eisenhower, 67000 Strasbourg
Website - Tel: 03 88 35 36 18
Located at the tip of Île-Sainte-Hélène, the Saint-Paul Protestant church, with the Ill River and its banks, forms a remarkable landscape. Built between 1892 and 1897 according to the plans of the architect Louis Muller, it can accommodate more than 2,000 faithful. In the Rhineland neo-Gothic style inspired by the church of St. Elizabeth of Marburg in Hesse (13th century), it includes two twin arrows 76 metres high and a large rose 8 metres in diameter. It has preserved some of its original stained glass windows, which represent allegories of the Empire and the arms of its regions.
Jardin Botanique de l'Université de Strasbourg
28 rue Goethe, 67000 Strasbourg
Website - Tel: 03 68 85 18 65.
Open every day:
March, April, September and October: 2 p.m. to 6 p.m.
May through August: 2 p.m to 7 p.m.
November and December: 2 p.m. to 4 p.m.
Closed in January and February.
Free guided tour on the 1st Sunday of the month at 3 p.m.
The University's Botanical Garden dates back to 1884 and covers an area of 3.5 hectares. It includes 6,000 plant species. A tropical greenhouse presents a collection of remarkable plants, including various palm trees. In winter, a 207 m² cold greenhouse shelters more than 500 species of plants from the mild winter regions. Outside you can admire an Arboretum with about 2,200 trees and shrubs. Among the most remarkable trees: the False Walnut of the Caucasus, the Giant Sequoia and 5 Bald Cypresses, one of which, the Taxodium ascendens, is very rare in Europe...
Further away, beyond the classified area
The Orangery Park
Avenue de l'Europe, 67000 Strasbourg
The Orangery Park, the largest in Strasbourg, was designed by Le Nôtre in 1692 and designed for the stay of Empress Josephine in 1804. The Josephine Pavilion hosts temporary exhibitions. Children will enjoy the minizoo. It brings together the famous local storks with some more exotic animals (monkeys, macaws, parakeets, capercaillie, Chilean flamingos).
It is the favourite meeting place for lovers, joggers and Sunday walkers. Children love its playgrounds, antique car circuit, mini-farm and zoo (free). The lake, adorned with a large romantic waterfall, offers the opportunity to indulge in the joys of canoeing. Le Buerehiesel, a pretty half-timbered house, houses a gourmet restaurant. Bowling and its terrace complete this leisure offer.
European city par excellence, Strasbourg is the seat of the European Parliament, the Council of Europe and the Court of Human Rights.