The route from Chaumont to Rochecorbon will take you through beautiful towns and villages that stretch along the banks of the Loire. Though royal influence is evident in Chaumont sur Loire or in Amboise, it is also important to note that it was in Amboise that Leonardo da Vinci spent the last years of his life.
Chaumont sur Loire (41150)
Majestically overlooking the Loire, the estate of Chaumont sur Loire consists of a castle and a landscaped park that covers 20 hectares. The area hosts the International Garden Festival and regular photographic exhibitions by contemporary artists on the nature and the landscape.
Domaine de Chaumont sur Loire
41150 Chaumont sur Loire
Website - tel : 02 54 20 99 22 .
From November through March: full price / reduced price: €14 / €8 / 6 to 11 years old : €4. Free for children under 6 years old
From April through October: full price / reduced price: €18 / €12 / 6 to 11 years old: €6. Free for children under 6 years old
Open daily :
February and March: 10 a.m. to 6 p.m. ;
April, September and October : 10 a.m. to 6:30 p.m. ;
May to August : 10 a.m. to 8 p.m. ;
November through January : 10 a.m. to 5:30 p.m.
Multimedia guide in 10 languages (+ €4). Multimedia guide for children from 6 years old in 4 languages.
Self-guided tour with guide booklet in 10 languages.
Guided tours are free of charge when done in French and English.
Visit with the free App "Château de Chaumont sur Loire" to download on Apple Store and Google Play.
Dining and boutiques on site.
History of the castle of Chaumont sur Loire
The construction of the castle began in 1468 in a Gothic and defensive style and continued to the next century in a Renaissance style. Once this work was completed, Catherine de Medici, widow of King Henry II, purchased the castle in 1560, and quickly exchanged it for the Château de Chenonceau, which then belonged to Diane de Poitiers. Until the 18th century the castle changed owners several times, and was reworked many times to become a castle for leisure trips. In the 19th century the various owners completed significant restoration (chapel, decorative elements on the inside and outside, floors, paneling, fireplaces, stained glass). The leisure park surrounding the castle was created in 1884. Since 2007, the castle and grounds have been owned by the Centre region.
The Ruggieri Chamber bears the name of the astrologer of Catherine de Medici, whose portrait is presented on the wall. The beautiful polychrome fireplace dates back to the 16th century.
The tapestry in the Catherine de Medici Chamber is the oldest in the castle (15th century) and depicts the story of Perseus and Pegasus. Note also the richly carved bed.
The Council room has beautiful tile from 17th century Sicily, bought by the Broglie family. It is located next to the guard room, above the entrance porch of the castle, and features in particular a beautiful 15th century trunk that weighs over 250 pounds!
After the Diane de Poitiers Chamber, decorated with objects and furniture from the 16th century, the tour continues through the King’s Chamber lit by a beautiful glass chandelier from 19th century Venice.
Once down the spiral Renaissance staircase, the Esca lier d’Honneur, the tour continues across the princess room before reaching the dining room equipped with a fireplace and adorned with beautiful tapestries.
The next room, the library, is decorated with Aubusson tapestries from the 17th century.
The billiard room has a superb polychrome ceiling made at the request of the Broglie family. The decoration of the room is supplemented by two Brussels tapestries from the 16th century.
Finally, in the Grand Hall, guests took tea in front of the polychrome fireplace. It was redecorated in the 19th century and reflects the mood and atmosphere of wealthy people during this century.
The stables of the castle date from the late 19th century. They were constructed by the owner at the time: the Prince of Broglie. They were then considered to be the most luxurious in Europe and today remain one of the main tourist attractions of the site. Everything was designed for the comfort of the horses. The stables are composed of the Great Stable and the Guest Stable that together could accommodate fifty horses.
Though initiated by the previous owner, it was the Prince of Broglie and landscaper Henri Duchêne who completed the realization of the park in an English landscape style. More surprising still, the Princess of Broglie, dog lover, commissioned a cemetery for her animals. The Prince would continue to develop the surrounding area and at his death in 1917, the estate of Chaumont covered nearly 2,500 acres of woodslands, farms and fields. The leisure park overlooks the Loire Valley on "only" 21 hectares. It is classified as a "Remarkable Garden".
The Center of Arts and Nature
Since 2008, the estate of Chaumont sur Loire has been a center of artistic creation and landscape innovation. Each year, visual and photographic art exhibitions, concerts and film screenings make this site a living artistic site "dedicated to the relationship of nature and culture."
Events at the castle of Chaumont sur Loire
The "Gardens of Light" and "Magical Nights" (July and August)
These events allow visitors to take a night tour of the castle gardens.
The International Garden Festival (April through October)
Each year the International Garden Festival welcomes landscape architects, designers and gardeners to compose original creations according to a theme chosen by the jury. Internationally renowned artists and professionals of the sector come from all around the world to participate in the festival.
Cruises on the Loire
The Association "Millière Raboton, man of the Loire"
11 Rue de Bellevue, 41150 Chaumont sur Loire
Website - tel : 06 88 765 714.
Present in Chaumont-sur-Loire and Amboise, this association allows visitors to discover the Loire in a traditional boat (the Toues). The association works for the development of cultural activities and a better knowledge of the Loire and its heritage.
Restaurant in Chaumont sur Loire
Hostellerie du Château – traditional cuisine with fresh products
2 Rue du Maréchal de Lattre de Tassigny, 41150 Chaumont sur Loire
Website - tel : 02 54 20 98 04.
"Lunch formule" : €22. "Menu" from €25.